Tuesday 4 August 2015

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

My name is Paula. I am a dental hygiene student going into my second of three years in Ontario. Before I chose dental hygiene, I started with Aviation. I made it through one and a half semesters and discovered that it isn't for me. Pilots who don't choose the military route will often get stuck moving to remote or undesirable locations in order to find a job that won't pay much more than a full time position at a fast food restaurant. If I had the passion for flying then I might have been able to put up with a rough start like that, but I didn't. Right now, a bunch of my friends who have graduated that program just moved up to Yellowknife (up in the Northwest Territories) to work for a small company. I am more of a home body and wouldn't bring much optimism to that "adventure" if I were going with them, so it is probably best I got out when I did. I suppose I could have finished the second semester and at least gotten my private pilot's license, but I just couldn't bring myself to waste more time and money on an education I didn't want to use.


After I left that, I spent the rest of the spring/summer working and deciding what my new career would be. I always thought I would become a doctor, but I was never sure which kind. When browsing through a list of programs offered by a college I wanted to attend, I stumbled upon dental hygiene. Dentistry was never a route I considered, but it seemed to be a good fit for me in all aspects. I would have gone straight into university to get a degree and then become a Dentist, but I didn't have the prerequisites from high school.

So here I am in dental hygiene, planning to finish my degree while working as a Dental Hygienist when I complete this program. After getting my degree I will have all the knowledge and experience I need to go into Dentistry and specialize in Orthodontics. I currently have a 4.00 GPA in my program, so I think I have finally found a field that is perfect for me. Some research I did revealed that becoming an Orthodontist is the highest paying low-stress job you can get.


Right now I am working as a Hygiene Coordinator at the biggest dental office in western Canada. I basically do billing, insurance claims and booking appointments for the dental hygienists. I have become good friends with one of my colleagues Katiy (link to her blog) who convinced me to start this blog, educating people on everything to do with maintaining good oral health.


Of course, I wouldn't be here doing what I love if it weren't for the support I received from my family, friends, and my boyfriend.


Well now that you've gotten to know me, lets start talking oral hygiene!

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to see what is in store for us here paula!! Hook us up with the deets on teeth!

    ReplyDelete